Job Opening: Senior Software Engineer (Ruby on Rails)
tl;dr: We're looking for someone with Rails
expertise and a high bar for quality to take ownership of the backend
that powers Tuple.
Who we are
Tuple is a macOS app for remote pair
programming (with a Linux client on the way).
We (Ben, Spencer, and Joel) founded the company four years
ago because we disliked pairing over Slack and Zoom. We believed that by focusing
on remote pairing exclusively, we could create a tool that developers would
Turns out we were right! We've grown to millions in revenue and tens of
thousands of paid users in four years without any outside funding. Our product
is used by the savvy engineers at companies like Shopify, Stripe,
Spotify, and Netflix.
(Want the latest on how things are going?
Ben hosts a weekly podcast
where he shares regular updates.)
Tuple is known for the high-powered experience of our native apps,
but behind the scenes these are supported by a fairly lean Rails
backend. This app serves as our billing portal, provides user management,
does webhook handling, and provides an API for our native apps. This
system was developed through the part-time effort of several people,
but we'd like to find someone to take ownership of it as their #1
Along with the Rails backend, you can expect to work on API-based
integrations such as our Slack app, Chrome extension, and Google
As the primary developer for our web services, you will work directly with our founding team. You
will have part-time contributions of other members of the team (several of whom have a Rails background) including regular
pairing sessions with Joel, our co-founder and COO who has led the development of the backend to this point.
Things you'll do a lot
- Pair. You're going to be using the product you're helping to build at least 10 hours per week.
- Spike new features, refine them with our product team, and ship them.
- Handle a steady inflow of shaped and designed features from our product team.
Things you must do well
- Maintain a high bar for code quality and test coverage.
- Work and collaborate well with other developers and designers.
- Manage deployments, database upgrades, and other DevOps tasks (though we do run on Heroku, which minimizes these).
- Keep our issue tracker Linear up to date.
Projects you’re likely to work on
- Keeping the Rails backend in tip-top shape.
- Developing and maintaining third-party integrations.
- Building the backend API to support new features for our native apps.
- Deploying an internal dashboard to help our Sales and Success teams support our customers.
Things you won't have to do
- Work without feedback and input from others.
- Ask permission to try interesting projects.
- Work nine to five.
Why you might want to work with us
- We're tiny, so there are no layers of bureaucracy to work through. You can have a huge impact here.
- We rarely have meetings and are very flexible on work schedules.
- You can work remotely as long as your typical day overlaps at least 4 hours with 9-5 Eastern Time.
Why you might not want to work with us
- We're new at this. We're learning how to run a company, and are bound to make mistakes. We want you to tell us when we do, though!
- We hire slowly, so you won't have 5 people reporting to you in a year like you might at a hyper-growth startup.
- You're likely to be our only full-time backend developer for a while.
How to apply
Send an email (and links to your best work) to firstname.lastname@example.org.